In today’s world electronics are a
large part of our daily lives, especially different type’s social media and
communication devices. Due to the amount of technology that we use in a daily
basis our relationships with those in our lives have changed as well.
Comparing todays relationships with other to about 25 years ago (1990’s), the way people communicate with one another has altered quite drastically. Even going back to 2006, the way I communicate with my friends and people close to me has changed. When I was younger I memorized everybody’s phone number, because if I forgot I have to find them in my contact book. No, it was not an app, it was a real book where you had to write down all of your friends, family, and doctors. Contact information. Also, when I was 6, I remember that there were still many flip phones around, so texting was less common, and phone calls were more frequent.
Today the most common way I contact my friends is through text messages, this might vary depending on the person, but for me I hardly call anybody anymore, I text them instead. In addition to that, I do not remember the majority of my friend’s phone numbers. I only know the ones I memorized when I was younger. This is because I have become accustomed to simply typing in their name to be able to contact them.
Like any thing these changes have their good and bad points. Some of the good point of the advancement and increased use of social media is a cheaper way to stay in contact with you family. There are many apps and programs that will allow you to stay in touch with friends for free. These electronic devices also make staying up to date with friends who live far away easier.
I am still in touch with friends who don’t even live in the same time zone as me through social media networks. Some of the negative point of the amount of social media we use are: the possibility of decreasing, or possibly losing, that genuine connection you have with a person. What I mean to say is that if your conversations begin to feel repetitive and short, small talk, then your relationship with that person is on a loop.
When I only talk to my friends over social media, then one day we will finally video chat the conversation has a degree of awkwardness. I think this is because we are used to talking behind a screen, with spell check and emojis rather than real facial expressions, but that’s just my opinion. Electronics are a large part of our daily lives, especially different type’s social media and communication devices, and as a result the way we interact with one another has changed.
Comparing todays relationships with other to about 25 years ago (1990’s), the way people communicate with one another has altered quite drastically. Even going back to 2006, the way I communicate with my friends and people close to me has changed. When I was younger I memorized everybody’s phone number, because if I forgot I have to find them in my contact book. No, it was not an app, it was a real book where you had to write down all of your friends, family, and doctors. Contact information. Also, when I was 6, I remember that there were still many flip phones around, so texting was less common, and phone calls were more frequent.
Today the most common way I contact my friends is through text messages, this might vary depending on the person, but for me I hardly call anybody anymore, I text them instead. In addition to that, I do not remember the majority of my friend’s phone numbers. I only know the ones I memorized when I was younger. This is because I have become accustomed to simply typing in their name to be able to contact them.
Like any thing these changes have their good and bad points. Some of the good point of the advancement and increased use of social media is a cheaper way to stay in contact with you family. There are many apps and programs that will allow you to stay in touch with friends for free. These electronic devices also make staying up to date with friends who live far away easier.
I am still in touch with friends who don’t even live in the same time zone as me through social media networks. Some of the negative point of the amount of social media we use are: the possibility of decreasing, or possibly losing, that genuine connection you have with a person. What I mean to say is that if your conversations begin to feel repetitive and short, small talk, then your relationship with that person is on a loop.
When I only talk to my friends over social media, then one day we will finally video chat the conversation has a degree of awkwardness. I think this is because we are used to talking behind a screen, with spell check and emojis rather than real facial expressions, but that’s just my opinion. Electronics are a large part of our daily lives, especially different type’s social media and communication devices, and as a result the way we interact with one another has changed.
No comments:
Post a Comment